In this book, Geoff Smart and Randy Street provide a simple, practical and effective solution to what The Economist calls “the single biggest problem in business today”: unsuccessful hiring. The average hiring mistake costs a company nearly £1.2 million a year, as well as countless wasted hours. This statistic becomes even more startling when you consider that the typical hiring success rate of managers is only 50%.
The silver lining is that “who” problems are easily preventable. Based on more than 1,300 hours of interviews with more than 20 billionaires and 300 CEOs, Who presents the authors’ “A” Method for Hiring. Refined through the largest research study of its kind ever undertaken, the “A” Method stresses fundamental elements that anyone can implement – and it is claimed to have a 90% success rate.
The method breaks down the hiring process into four key steps:
The book explains how to:
- avoid common “voodoo hiring” methods
- define the outcomes you seek
- generate a flow of A players to your team
- ask the right interview questions to dramatically improve your ability to quickly distinguish an A player from a B or C candidate
- attract the person you want to hire by emphasising the points the candidate cares about most.
Any company that correctly implements these concepts will have a leg-up in attracting and selecting the highest quality talent.