First, Break All the Rules by Marcus Buckingham & Curt Coffman
These twelve questions, when answered “strongly agree,” identify high performance employees… but, the hard part is creating an environment where the employees can answer “strongly agree.” This turns out to be more of a management test than an employee assessment.
Try these questions out… first on yourself, then on your employees. To which questions would you answer “strongly agree?”
- Do I know what is expected of me at work?
- Do I have the equipment and materials I need to do my work right?
- Do I have the opportunity to do what I do best every day?
- In the last 7 days, have I received recognition or praise for good work?
- Does my supervisor or someone at work seem to care about me as a person?
- Is there someone at work who encourages my development?
- Do my opinions seem to count?
- Does the mission or purpose of my company make me feel like my work is important?
- Are my co-workers committed to doing quality work?
- Do I have a best friend at work?
- In the last 6 months, have I talked with someone about my progress?
- This last year, have I had opportunities at work to learn and grow?
If you… and your employees… did not answer “strongly agree” to every one of these questions, you might want to read the book. There is also a sequel “Now, Discover Your Strengths”.