In our strategy consultancy we have observed that client acquisition tactics and marketing investment vary greatly, from sector to sector and from one business to the next. Marketing spend is like a box of chocolates. The US-based CMO Survey of August 2017 provides some interesting insights.
While business-to-consumer (B2C) businesses – especially product-based companies – spend freely on marketing, business-to-business (B2B) companies often underinvest. However, given the efficiency offered by digital assets such as web and search engine optimisation (SEO), the tide is turning. Even B2B service companies are expected to spend 11% more on marketing than they did in the recent past.
Marketing spend as a percentage
of revenue by company type
Marketing investment varies
dramatically by industry.
Sign up to our newsletter
– to stay up to date and gain access to regular bulletins, news and our insight on current events
IN OUR LATEST NEWSLETTER
“Business continuity in a recession”
– as the double-dip looms, our November White Paper spotlights operational risk
“Crisis management helps a company to cope with the sudden death of its CEO”
– this month’s featured case study
“Tips for productively working from home”
– our latest Snapshot outlines seven ways to avoid getting sidetracked
“Competitive advantage and USPs”
– if you’re not sure what yours are, watch our November video
“Generous leaders win in the end”
– guest author Gary Coulton, CEO of Adaptive Intelligence Consulting, explains why