Below is a brief overview of what we are already doing and what we want to do to reduce TCii’s carbon footprint and impact on the environment.
What we are already doing
- In our offices we use multi-functional devices (for faxing, printing and photocopying) that reduce energy and paper usage.
- We now print on office paper from either recycled or sustainable sources.
- We supply paper-recycling bins and recycle the majority of our office paper.
- We recycle mobile phones, computers and printer cartridges.
- Unless our clients request otherwise, we send all quotes, invoices and other communications via email. This saves both on paper and on carbon miles for postage.
- We reuse or recycle all of our incoming packaging materials (cardboard, polystyrene/cereal based beads, shredded paper, air bags, etc.).
- We only purchase paper that is Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) accredited.
- We use 100% digital photography for the production of marketing materials. This minimises the use of film-developing chemicals.
- We closely monitor our consumption of fuel and energy and we take care that they are not wasted through inefficiency or casualness. For example, we use signage to remind staff to turn off lights when leaving a room, and ask staff to use computers responsibly, i.e. turning them off at night and using stand-by mode during the day.
- We have reduced the amount of our landfill waste by finding ways of recycling waste material, either in-house or through working in conjunction with others who are able to use the material constructively.
- We are ensuring that any new build/refurbishment plans adhere to current environmental standards and energy conservation requirements.
- We have a new Corporate Social Responsibility statement.
What we want to do
- As part of our promise to take climate change seriously and reduce our impact on the environment, we are aiming to produce a plan for carbon emission reduction across the organisation.
- We are also considering investigating the carbon emissions in our supply chain.
- We want to attain ISO 14001 Environmental Management Standard accreditation and promote its use with our main suppliers.
- We are developing a campaign that aims to educate consumers about the carbon footprint of the products they buy in their everyday lives, inspire them to reduce their carbon footprint, and encourage them to take action to offset their carbon footprint in innovative ways.
- We are working with our property and procurement specialists to see how we can reduce our utilities consumption overall.
- We will encourage staff and visitors to recycle bottles, plastics and aluminium cans by locating recycling bins at strategic points throughout our offices.
- We intend to purchase our electricity from suppliers who reinvest in renewable energy sources.
- Where possible we will choose to source our materials from suppliers who operate in an environmentally friendly manner, and who are geographically local to us to reduce delivery miles.
- We will encourage web links to sites promoting sensible and sustainable attitudes towards the environment, renewable energy, etc.